Friday, October 1, 2010

Hawaii 2010 - Day 4

Day 4: Take local bus to North Shore. Meet nice young couple on bus going to snorkel. 1.5 hr. later bus stops at the Dole Plantation. I get off and tour grounds and the Botanical Gardens. Have a delicious pineapple smoothie.



Hint: Dole closes at 5pm so go early. Use the coupon in the tour book for the train ride. Pay the $5 to see the Botanical Gardens: it’s gorgeous.
Wait 1 hr. for bus to continue on my journey. Pass farmlands, Waimea beaches and get off at Sunset beach. Bansai Pipeline is where the surfing championships take place in winter. Miles of squishy white sand, 10 ft. cliffs from all the crashing waves. Homes and cottages are set back in the palms. There’s hardly anyone around. I pick smooth baby shells and tiny round black stones. I cool off in the water and walk for 2 miles to next beach. I meet up with the snorkeling couple. They tell me they swam with a giant turtle. I get a drink and bite to eat at the Foodland and wait for the bus to take the circle ride back all along the windward side. Unfortunately the sun goes down at 8 and it is too dark to enjoy the scenery. Three students from LA were on the bus, so the driver gave us a history tour of the area.


Hint: If you are going to do the local bus like I did start real early in the am. It is $2.50 and you can use the ticket to get back. I would also start on the windward side and return via the farmlands. That way if you are late you won’t miss the best scenery because of darkness. Buses are cold so bring a sweater.


Better Bet: Rent a car to go to the North Shore. Spend the night and next day enjoying the laid back area of Waimea beaches. Bring an umbrella to sit at Sunset Beach – it is very hot with no shade.



No comments:

Post a Comment