Friday, October 1, 2010

Maui 2010 - Day13

Day 13: Wake up to singing birds. My last day, I head down road to Big Wave Café (in Long’s Shopping Centre) for breakfast. I pass early birds in surf school and of course lots of surfers already out on the water. It is 8am. In Maui early risers, early to bed.



Hint: Big Wave Café serves a full breakfast between 7:30-9 am for $3.99



Sadly I return to my room to pack and check out. I drive to Kaluilu to Fabric Depot to check out cottons. There is such a huge selection: I settle on a few traditional Hawaiian symbol designs. I decide to drive the north shore. When to road narrows and become a single lane, I turn around. Nothing can compare to the road to Hana. I decide to drive past Lahaina to see the hotel strip around Kaanapali beach. Golf courses, condos galore, residential homes all surrounded by tropical vegetation. I return to Lahaina.
It is a busy weekend. Luckily there is room to park in the free lot. It is my birthday and I treat myself to lunch at Lahaina Fish Co: coconut shrimp $12.95 and hula drink $6 (pineapple, mango, banana). The food was great but the service was poor: there only a few other diners but I was ignored and had to ask for service. When I left the host had arrived and asked me if all was well. When I recounted my experience he said he would take care of it. Could it have been because I was solo? I drive back and enjoy the ocean views. Clouds set in. Return car and check-in. Airport noisy, hot, crowded. Glad I am traveling first class on my 10:15 flight.



Hint: I arrived in San Francisco at 6am with a 5 hr. layover. I had trouble finding a hard bench to lie on and it was freezing in the airport. A long layover is a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment