Friday, October 1, 2010

Maui 2010 - Day12

Day 12: Wake up to the sound of birds. Another calm morning with blue skies. After breakfast in my room, I leave for the south shore and drive to Lahaina, an artist community of 1960’s hippies turned entrepreneurs. I pass groups of early risers in surf class, fields of sugar cane, and the Haleakala volcano in the distance. The drive is beautiful as you travel along the shore with lots of places to pull in for a swim. Arrive in Lahaina. I find a free public parking lot on the north end of the strip. Wonderful quaint shops, small quaint houses with picket fences, seafood restaurants, and of course the waterfront with everything a tourist wants to do.



I wander in and out of the shops, stopping at a bakery to purchase a home made fruit scone (yummy). I notice a little sign The Shoemaker and deek down a small alley. I chat with a local Hawaiian shoemaker who will make you custom leather sandals. I learn a bit about the history of the town. I drive back stopping at one of the pull-over beaches to cool off in the waves and lay in the sun for awhile.
Once I get back to Kihea I decide to go down road past Wailea and check out a few more beaches. I drive by expensive homes and pull over to check out a small bay. I get to walk on the sand in front of multi million dollar houses. Down the road, I stop at Big Beach: a wide expanse of sand and 1 mile long. Then I look for Red Beach and end up high on a hill overlooking the sea. I ask directions from a man waiting for sunset. He tells me to go to the end of the road to see “new” land being built on lava. Off I go on the road that becomes one lane, driving close to the edge of the shore. A few cars are parked. I pass a few homes driving to the end of the road (La Perouse Bay). The land is being cleared to build houses. It is all black lava. It is like I am on a deserted, desolate, ruined planet. I get out of the car. It is dead quiet, spooky and gives me the creeps. I decide not to go to the end and manage to maneuver a turn. The sun is setting and as I drive the rays peek through clouds and it is truly beautiful in it’s orange splendor. I drive back up to Ahihi-Kina’u beach and a barefoot couple is getting married on the shore.I drive back to my hotel to shower and head out for dinner. Down the road at Kihea Shopping Centre I dine on the patio of 3’sBar & Grill: Coconut Shrimp appetizer $9, Tropical Salad $8, a glass of wine; perfect. A warm nite, I take a stroll on the moonlit beach.

Hint: Hawaii’s beaches are by law the domain of the public. You can soak up the sun on the beach outside the obscenely priced homes of the rich & famous.


No comments:

Post a Comment